The Genial Hearth (previously fefifofum)

My old blog... visit The Genial Hearth for current updates!

Name:
Location: Perth, WA, Australia

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Pie!

So today I finally realised that we'd kept the boy away from the mulberries for sufficient time that there was a decent crop.

To put this in proper perspective, our tree is quite young, it's not a great deal taller than I am. I was quite pleased with the quantity (and there's still more than that to ripen!)

There was definitely enough for a pie:-)



I doubt I could have fitted any more mulberries in!


I'm not sure if I used my 'usual' pastry recipe (in spite of my plans, I haven't made many pies this winter), but I chose this Sweet Short Crust because it uses a whole egg. Unless I have plans for the leftover white/yolk, I go for whole egg versions of things:-)

200 grams plain flour
30 grams self raising flour
140 grams shortening (I use butter)
pinch of salt (I skipped this because I didn't use unsalted butter)
60 grams caster sugar
1 egg

Rub the shortening through the flour and sugar. Add the egg and gradually mix into a firm dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly.
I then shaped it into a flat disc, wrapped it in plastic and put it into the freezer for a bit.
Wash your mulberries. Ours are mostly picked from the tree rather than the ground, so it's mostly making sure there aren't any living things on them still.
Divide the pastry into two (not quite evenly) and return one piece to the freezer. Roll the other out to fit a 23cm pie dish. Fill with mulberries. Roll out the other piece to go on the top.
I did forget to glaze this which would probably have made it better.
Bake at 180˚C for about 20-30 minutes (depending on your oven).

We had it after it had cooled a bit, served with cream.

Yum:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home