The Genial Hearth (previously fefifofum)

My old blog... visit The Genial Hearth for current updates!

Name:
Location: Perth, WA, Australia

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Progress

Week 2, Block 6
We actually read the Beatrix Potter! It's been a while since we did that... The Book Look orders arrived yesterday (I think I should get them all to you over the next week) and that included the Complete Beatrix Potter—which includes this week's story—with pictures:-) (We've missed so many, that I'm thinking I should plan on repeating them, rather than doing two weeks of each one we have left.)
We've sung a bit (I put Puggle in his room for 'Quiet Time' on Thursday... we're transitioning out of naps, and he protested by singing 'Mica Mica' loudly all the way through:-) ). We've also continued with 'Two Little Boys'.
Lots of tracing number 1s. He has then been cutting out the number (in a doorway shape) and then he's asked me to stick them back in like a doorway. He then turns them into a doll's house. Not sure where that fascination has come from!
I did forget to make a noodle necklace... that's an oversight. He'd like the threading:-(
There was some colouring while I read the Golden Goose. We didn't get all the way through in one sitting. Surprising, given it's quite short.
There's been another nursery rhyme binge as well:-) He's been singing his own bedtime songs ('Golden Slumbers', 'Boys and Girls Come Out to Play', 'Hey Diddle, Diddle'), although he does tend to race through them so that some words are unidentifiable and others are missed out all together. I've been thinking that he might like to perform one of these at the Co-op Fair at the beginning of October.
He seemed more at ease at KinderClassics—he sang out the whole of 'Frére Jacques' when the title was mentioned (after singing it with the group in English). He was able to count to four in Latin with the others, and sing 'Mica Mica'. And he wasn't so 'stunned' by the teacher/student thing... but I'm still not sure that it's what I'm really looking for at this stage. Paddington has put up a couple of ads for a French speaker to come and play with Puggle and another family on a weekly basis, and really I guess I'm hopeful that doing that regularly will prompt me to use French more reliably (I guess, I should find something that I can do every day... not sure what though).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home