The Genial Hearth (previously fefifofum)

My old blog... visit The Genial Hearth for current updates!

Name:
Location: Perth, WA, Australia

Monday, September 17, 2007

Montessori Monday—Sound Jars

Sound Jars (top)
These were quite simple.

I started with a dozen film containers (if I'd waited a couple of weeks, I could have had half with grey lids and half with black... but I didn't). On half the lids I placed a red dot, and on the other half a green one.

I filled two cylinders with lentils, two with rice, two with adzuki (small!) beans, two with cannellini beans, two with cous cous and two with something else. It's important to try and get about the same quantity in each pair, so that they sound the same.

Each pair should have a red and a green lid, and on the bottom a coloured dot (the bottom dots should match the fillings). The bottom dot is what allows the child to self-assess. I had to add a little glue to the bottom dots to ensure they stayed on over the uneven base of the film containers.

Sound Jars (bottom)

These were done in about half an hour (the longest bit was probably deciding what fillings to use. It's important that each pair is distinctly different—withou being too obvious!

All that's left is sorting out a storage/presentation box. And working out where to keep them!


(I'll be using information from this Sound Cylinders presentation.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home