The Genial Hearth (previously fefifofum)

My old blog... visit The Genial Hearth for current updates!

Name:
Location: Perth, WA, Australia

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Blogging Advent - Tuesday 5th

0 for 3:-(

Today the task was to make Speculatius (spiced cookies). It's the eve of St Nicholas' day, so I wanted the cookies to go in the shoes. Didn't quite happen that way.

I forgot to get Puggle to even check the pocket!

But we did end up reading 'Twas the Night Before Christmas a number of times!

After he went to bed, I made the biscuit mix. It's now sitting in gladwrap rolls in the fridge. I'll slice some and cook them before our Home Ed. co-op in the morning, and we'll leave the rest for now. Tomorrow (or maybe the weekend), we'll roll the rest out and cut shapes.

I did remember to get Puggle to put out his shoes, along with a small bowl of carrot sticks...

The recipe I used is basically from the Von Trapp blog (from November 26), just halved.

Speculatius
215 g butter
160 g brown sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
allspice
ginger
Cream the butter and sugar. Add sour cream alternately with sifted dry ingredients. Knead the dough into rolls. Wrap the rolls in glad wrap and chill in the refrigerator overnight. Roll the dough very thin and cut it into shapes. Bake in oven at 170˚C for 10 to 15 minutes.

(And we still haven't made the Christmas cake!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home