Resolutions
This year I have made resolutions... in spite of the fact that I'm still loosely working on my 101 in 1001.
Firstly, I'm intending to take better care of myself. That has two parts.
One is to get back into the habit of drinking water. I was never particularly good at it, but then when I was going to be driving Sungroper in the World Solar Challenge (we travelled from Darwin to Adelaide, averaging 35 kp/h) in October 2001, so drinking water became very important. I managed to maintain it for a few years more, but about the time I came home to have Puggle (tiny bladder!) I let it slide. So, more water for me. I'll use the same strategy as last time, have a 1.25 L bottle and make a point of filling—and drinking—it twice per day.
The other part is to get more regular sleep. I'm really bad for staying up late at night, and Paddington is really good about getting up with the boy in the morning, so I don't wake particularly early (Puggle doesn't actually wake very early, but for us with our late nights, it still feels as if it is). That means the rest of the day starts rather sluggishly. I'm intending to go to bed by 10.30 every night (although, I guess I should exempt one evening a week, in case we go out.) To do this, if I'm using the computer in the evening, I won't plug it in, that way I'll be limited by the battery. I'll also need to be more particular about getting Puggle to bed on time (something I'm finding difficult with daylight saving:-() The other end is that I want to try getting up at a consistent time each day. I'm thinking that half an hour or so before Puggle wakes is probably good. That will give me time to work on my other resolution, and we can breakfast as a family.
I should probably also think about doing some form of exercise, other than running around after children... but I haven't added that at this stage. I'll probably revisit these resolutions around my birthday and I'll think about adding some activity then?
Secondly, I plan to work on self-education. In 2006 I worked on Music and Art familiarity (art prints as a screen saver, classical music playing, learning a folksong a month... although that was less successful than I hoped) and I will continue doing this. I also intend to follow The Well-Educated Mind, a reading plan by Susan Wise Bauer. I'm going to start with the biographies, as I found Don Quixote a bit too impenetrable the last time I tried it. Besides, I like biographies! I'm figuring I'll read (and make notes in a Commonplace Book as suggested) for the first twenty minutes after I wake. (I'm thinking I'll aim to write for the first five to ten trying the Charlotte Mason approach of Narration, before then reading the next few pages for the remaining ten to fifteen. I'm hoping that if I only intend to read a couple of pages a day, it will feel more achievable... given that the books on the list are all fairly dense!) The last ten minutes of my (hopeful) time before Puggle wakes, I'm going to practise the piano. And I'm aiming to do this four mornings a week.
Thirdly, I'm aiming to be more consistent with de-cluttering. I'm going to aim for fifteen minutes a day (four days a week, don't want to make it too hard to keep!)—I'm thinking of straight after I put Puggle to bed. I think I'll start with our bedroom. I usually seem to loose impetus after the living areas, and I haven't actually managed to seriously attack it. Having been away of late, staying in holiday accommodation (no clutter), I am feeling the clutter pressing in. So I'm going to focus there until I feel less crowded.
Firstly, I'm intending to take better care of myself. That has two parts.
One is to get back into the habit of drinking water. I was never particularly good at it, but then when I was going to be driving Sungroper in the World Solar Challenge (we travelled from Darwin to Adelaide, averaging 35 kp/h) in October 2001, so drinking water became very important. I managed to maintain it for a few years more, but about the time I came home to have Puggle (tiny bladder!) I let it slide. So, more water for me. I'll use the same strategy as last time, have a 1.25 L bottle and make a point of filling—and drinking—it twice per day.
The other part is to get more regular sleep. I'm really bad for staying up late at night, and Paddington is really good about getting up with the boy in the morning, so I don't wake particularly early (Puggle doesn't actually wake very early, but for us with our late nights, it still feels as if it is). That means the rest of the day starts rather sluggishly. I'm intending to go to bed by 10.30 every night (although, I guess I should exempt one evening a week, in case we go out.) To do this, if I'm using the computer in the evening, I won't plug it in, that way I'll be limited by the battery. I'll also need to be more particular about getting Puggle to bed on time (something I'm finding difficult with daylight saving:-() The other end is that I want to try getting up at a consistent time each day. I'm thinking that half an hour or so before Puggle wakes is probably good. That will give me time to work on my other resolution, and we can breakfast as a family.
I should probably also think about doing some form of exercise, other than running around after children... but I haven't added that at this stage. I'll probably revisit these resolutions around my birthday and I'll think about adding some activity then?
Secondly, I plan to work on self-education. In 2006 I worked on Music and Art familiarity (art prints as a screen saver, classical music playing, learning a folksong a month... although that was less successful than I hoped) and I will continue doing this. I also intend to follow The Well-Educated Mind, a reading plan by Susan Wise Bauer. I'm going to start with the biographies, as I found Don Quixote a bit too impenetrable the last time I tried it. Besides, I like biographies! I'm figuring I'll read (and make notes in a Commonplace Book as suggested) for the first twenty minutes after I wake. (I'm thinking I'll aim to write for the first five to ten trying the Charlotte Mason approach of Narration, before then reading the next few pages for the remaining ten to fifteen. I'm hoping that if I only intend to read a couple of pages a day, it will feel more achievable... given that the books on the list are all fairly dense!) The last ten minutes of my (hopeful) time before Puggle wakes, I'm going to practise the piano. And I'm aiming to do this four mornings a week.
Thirdly, I'm aiming to be more consistent with de-cluttering. I'm going to aim for fifteen minutes a day (four days a week, don't want to make it too hard to keep!)—I'm thinking of straight after I put Puggle to bed. I think I'll start with our bedroom. I usually seem to loose impetus after the living areas, and I haven't actually managed to seriously attack it. Having been away of late, staying in holiday accommodation (no clutter), I am feeling the clutter pressing in. So I'm going to focus there until I feel less crowded.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home