Blueberry and Buttermilk Sherbert
Blueberry and Buttermilk Sherbet, based on a recipe from this site. (I'm still not sure what qualifies it for a sherbert. I had thought non-dairy was a requirement, but now I don't know...)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
300 grams blueberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice (I didn't end up including this. It was too hot to go out to the tree.)
1 cup cold buttermilk
2 egg whites
Place an earthenware container in the freezer.
Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook for three to four minutes. Add the blueberries and cook until they are pulpy (about five minutes, unless they are frozen, then it may be longer!). (This is where the lemon juice should have been added.) Chill for an hour.
Place the buttermilk in the earthenware container, add the bluberry mixture and mix well. Freeze for about an hour (until it's just beginning to freeze).
Beat the egg whites to soft peak. Beat the semi-frozen mixture until smooth. Fold in egg whites and freeze until firm. (The recipe said about six hours, I think we ate ours after about four.)
We served it as is, but the recommendation was to soften slightly, then scoop into stemmed parfait glasses. Serve with oatmeal cookies.
This was a fabulous purple colour—I was expecting something softer, but was definite (might make a good IWD dessert:-) ). It tasted pretty decent. Certainly good enough to do again, but I think the lemon juice would probably make it better. It was a little one dimensional. Still, no comlaints:-)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
300 grams blueberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice (I didn't end up including this. It was too hot to go out to the tree.)
1 cup cold buttermilk
2 egg whites
Place an earthenware container in the freezer.
Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook for three to four minutes. Add the blueberries and cook until they are pulpy (about five minutes, unless they are frozen, then it may be longer!). (This is where the lemon juice should have been added.) Chill for an hour.
Place the buttermilk in the earthenware container, add the bluberry mixture and mix well. Freeze for about an hour (until it's just beginning to freeze).
Beat the egg whites to soft peak. Beat the semi-frozen mixture until smooth. Fold in egg whites and freeze until firm. (The recipe said about six hours, I think we ate ours after about four.)
We served it as is, but the recommendation was to soften slightly, then scoop into stemmed parfait glasses. Serve with oatmeal cookies.
This was a fabulous purple colour—I was expecting something softer, but was definite (might make a good IWD dessert:-) ). It tasted pretty decent. Certainly good enough to do again, but I think the lemon juice would probably make it better. It was a little one dimensional. Still, no comlaints:-)

1 Comments:
It was nice and cold and PURPLE!! But it was a pretty intense flavour :)
Thanks for having us.
Jen
(p.s. Oh Noes! Do I have to get a blog to be able to comment... not again! This way leads madness :) )
Post a Comment
<< Home