The Genial Hearth (previously fefifofum)

My old blog... visit The Genial Hearth for current updates!

Name:
Location: Perth, WA, Australia

Friday, September 21, 2007

Preschoolers and Money

I recently came across this article on kids and money. It's an area about which we have yet to make any decisions, so I found it quite interesting. The writer included links to two moneyboxes that I thought were note-worthy.

Obviously, Paddington and I will need to have a chat about this. I'm wondering (for those who have children, or from your childhood) when do you start giving pocket money? Is it tied to anything (jobs, behaviour, something else)?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we started with pocket money when eldest started pre-primary, although not at the beginning of the year. However, this was triggered by the number of things happening at the school that cost in the region of 50c or $1 - I decided that ze could deal with the decision as to what would be bought and so on.

Also, we have a semi-compulsory saving scheme - with school banking. The school age kids get $1 a week (which is currently being withheld to pay for something they lost), and I deposit 50c/week into the school banking for all of them. And child who saves extra gets it 'matched' - I'm working it a bit like the superannuation was for a bit.

*mouse*

8:00 AM  
Blogger lauredhel said...

We have just started giving the lad four dollars a week. Some he saves, some he spends on toys or other things he wants (mostly Lego; he's now planning to buy a snorkel). It can't be taken away, but it can be added to for special jobs. Not regular house jobs like setting the table, but particular jobs like helping his dad do a big garden cleanup for a rent inspection.

Which was, we hope, the LAST RENT INSPECTION EVER.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home