A Plan of Attack for Puggle's Education
I'm beginning this year to plan for Puggle's education, and record what we do. He'll be three in May, so it really is quite premature, but there are a couple of reasons for doing so now.
I tend to be quite slow to develop habits. I figure starting now will give me a chance to be able to be consistent about recording what we've done by the time that it actually matters.
There are things I want to do with him, but if I don't actually make a plan, it is too easy for them to fall by the wayside.
In order to cover all the books I feel are 'must-reads', without overloading him, it would be easier to start now.
I'm not planning anything particularly intensive:-)
I have a reading list. There are 28 books on it—but that includes all the Beatrix Potter stories (and we may not manage all of them, there are about half that we don't have, and I'll only do them if I can borrow them from the library... I haven't checked to see if they're available because that's not until the end of the year), it'd be 6 if you count the Potter stories as one (a collection). The others are nursery rhymes and fairy tales. (Language/English Studies)
I plan to continue learning folksongs (and Christmas carols, in season) myself, and singing them with Puggle. He already knows An English Country Garden, bits of John Brown's Body and Little Drummer Boy. He's also generally aware of the music I have playing, and the images on my screensaver, so I'll continue to identify those for him. (Music)
We'll do a craft activity of some sort, once a week. Purely as an organising principle, the activities will form an alphabet (eg we'll do some gluing, G will be sticking on green glitter). (Art, Language)
I intend to cook specifically with him once a week (he'll help out with 'normal' cooking, but I'm meaning something that he can do most of the required steps on his own). (Cooking, Maths, Practical Life)
We will continue swimming with Waterbabies once a week. (Phys. Ed [socialisation - if there's any concern!])
I will attempt to go on a Nature Walk once a week. Hopefully we'll also garden and talk about the weather most days. (Science)
We'll continue going to the Northern Suburbs Home-Education Co-op. (Art, Phys. Ed, [socialisation again] and lots of "Professional Development" for me:-) )
Laid out like this, it does look quite a bit. But I already read to him, so it's simply me choosing some of his daily reading. I am adding in the craft and the cooking as weekly activities, rather than simply when I think of them (which has usually been after he's in bed when I realise I haven't done something). The Nature Walk is something I have meant to do since he was born and have not yet succeeded in doing, that's the only completely new thing. I have been fairly slack with gardening over the last few months, but now that Bilby is here it should be easier to get out and do a bit.
I tend to be quite slow to develop habits. I figure starting now will give me a chance to be able to be consistent about recording what we've done by the time that it actually matters.
There are things I want to do with him, but if I don't actually make a plan, it is too easy for them to fall by the wayside.
In order to cover all the books I feel are 'must-reads', without overloading him, it would be easier to start now.
I'm not planning anything particularly intensive:-)
I have a reading list. There are 28 books on it—but that includes all the Beatrix Potter stories (and we may not manage all of them, there are about half that we don't have, and I'll only do them if I can borrow them from the library... I haven't checked to see if they're available because that's not until the end of the year), it'd be 6 if you count the Potter stories as one (a collection). The others are nursery rhymes and fairy tales. (Language/English Studies)
I plan to continue learning folksongs (and Christmas carols, in season) myself, and singing them with Puggle. He already knows An English Country Garden, bits of John Brown's Body and Little Drummer Boy. He's also generally aware of the music I have playing, and the images on my screensaver, so I'll continue to identify those for him. (Music)
We'll do a craft activity of some sort, once a week. Purely as an organising principle, the activities will form an alphabet (eg we'll do some gluing, G will be sticking on green glitter). (Art, Language)
I intend to cook specifically with him once a week (he'll help out with 'normal' cooking, but I'm meaning something that he can do most of the required steps on his own). (Cooking, Maths, Practical Life)
We will continue swimming with Waterbabies once a week. (Phys. Ed [socialisation - if there's any concern!])
I will attempt to go on a Nature Walk once a week. Hopefully we'll also garden and talk about the weather most days. (Science)
We'll continue going to the Northern Suburbs Home-Education Co-op. (Art, Phys. Ed, [socialisation again] and lots of "Professional Development" for me:-) )
Laid out like this, it does look quite a bit. But I already read to him, so it's simply me choosing some of his daily reading. I am adding in the craft and the cooking as weekly activities, rather than simply when I think of them (which has usually been after he's in bed when I realise I haven't done something). The Nature Walk is something I have meant to do since he was born and have not yet succeeded in doing, that's the only completely new thing. I have been fairly slack with gardening over the last few months, but now that Bilby is here it should be easier to get out and do a bit.

1 Comments:
That is very interesting to read about!
B
Post a Comment
<< Home