The Genial Hearth (previously fefifofum)

My old blog... visit The Genial Hearth for current updates!

Name:
Location: Perth, WA, Australia

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Thai Green Fish Curry

I have been meaning to increase the amount of fish in our diet, and also to experiment with green curries. So this evening I had a go. I couldn't find a recipe that was quite right among our books (one of the things I like about the green curries I've had is the inclusion of vegetables) so I searched online. No easy answer there either. So I adapted a recipe from The Naked Chef's.

Thai Green Fish Curry based on The Naked Chef by Jamie Oliver
Serves 4.


500 grams white fish (I used Skippy), cut into pieces.
400 ml tin of coconut milk (I used coconut cream, because we had a couple of tins by mistake, that needed using up)
1 red capsicum
2 handfuls sugar snap peas
1 handful of chopped pistachio nuts (I forgot these in the end:-( )
Green curry Paste
6 spring onions, washed and trimmed
4-6 medium green chillies, deseeded (I used 2, and was happy with that)
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped (it was probably about twice this)
1 large piece of dried galangal (I failed totally with this. We were looking for fresh and so I treated it the same, it should definitely have been soaked before use:-( )
1 tablespoon crushed coriander seeds
freshly ground black pepper
salt
a few kaffir lime leaves (we need to fertilise our tree, they were a little yellow)
2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped (I didn't bother chopping it particularly finely, it's going to be blended anyway!)
2 handfuls basil, on stalks
2 handfuls coriander, on stalks
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 limes, zest and juice

Blend all the curry paste ingredients until you have a green paste. Put half in a bag or bowl with all the fish and allow to marinate for about half an hour (I left it while I chopped the capsicum and sugar snap peas).
Chop the capsicum into 2 centimetre squares, and trim and halve the peas.
Heat a wok, and add the fish in paste to it. Fry for a couple of minutes. Add the remainder of the marinade and the coconut milk. Bring to the boil for about 8 minutes. After about 4, add the capsicum and peas (I would leave the peas until later, another time).
Serve over brown rice, and sprinkle with nuts.

This was good, but not great. Definitely room for some experimentation with different versions of the paste.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It needs fish sauce (naam pla) and that should have a huge effect even though you only use a little bit.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home